How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joy Nicholas Your Own Question
Joy Nicholas
Joy Nicholas, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2359
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joy Nicholas is online now

Where do I start. Ws74un, Nothing, I have a 18 year old

This answer was rated:

Hello . Where do I start .
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Ws74un
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have a 18 year old daughter who has blessed me early with a grandson. Her relationship has broken down due to his mother not liking my daughter.the issue we have is that his mother has threatened me and my daughter when drunk which is most nights and my daughter has whitenessed glasses been thrown when drunk as kicked her son out many times and I have taken him in.the mother is demanding she see her grandson which we have refused.As we don't want my grandson going to that environment.wott I would like to know is can we stop him taking my grandson to his mom's ...we have never stopped him seeing his son but we do refuse for him to take him there but he insists he has rights and can take his son where ever he pleases...which he can but not to that unpredictable environment...he's has now stopped seeing his son to which we have never stopped him which he can come to ours which has a nursery to see him .jenson is 12weeks old and breastfed so relies on my 18year old daughter for feeding and comfort...we have Saved all the horrible nasty message she has sent us...ect his mother .just wanting help please just in case which it will. cause his mother want drop the attack on us about it.please and my family are all very upset....xx just want to protect my grandson.many thanx.Donna Chapman....
Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. Can I confirm are you wanting to take legal action?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Can we stop him taking my grandson to his parents that are unsafe....

Hi, thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about your situation. If you are concerned about the safety of the child while at the grandparents house you need to take the matter to court. I would strongly advise that your daughter applies for a child arrangement order where these issues can be discussed before a judge.

. If you feel harassed you should contact the police with evidence and they will investigate the matter for your. You will be asked to provide them a statement and they will notify you if they arrest/charge the person. If the matter is brought to court the judge may award a restraining order against him preventing the person to contact you. A restraining order is made by the criminal court to prevent a person from contacting or pursuing a course of conduct with another person. The order is designed to protect the person named from crime against an individual and they can be made on conviction or acquittal of any criminal offence. Any person convicted or acquitted (found innocent or not proven) of a criminal offence can be made subject of a restraining order. You can find your local police here:

I would advise you to seek a child arrangement court order such an order can set out who looks after the child and when. Such an order once made can be enforced if it is breached. In order to do this, you will need to arrange for and attend a mediation appointment with your ex first to see if an order can be agreed. Even if you and your ex end up having to go to court to sort out the differences, you will normally need to prove that you’ve been to a mediation information and assessment meeting (MIAM). This is an introductory meeting to explain what mediation is and how it might help you. If your ex doesn't want to see a mediator, you should go to the MIAM on your own. You’ll then be able to prove you’ve tried mediation if you later want to go court. You can’t force your ex to go to mediation. In order to find a mediator you can use this link on the Family Mediation Council website here:

You’ll normally have to pay about £30 for an MIAM, although sometimes this first meeting is free. Follow-up sessions usually cost you and your ex about £80 each - most people need to go to 3 or 4.

The cost of mediation varies depending on where you live. Phone around to find the best price, but bear in mind the cheapest might not be the best.

If the MIAM does not work and you not able to agree to mediation you will need to go to court. This will require you to fill out form C100 which can be found here:

You can find guidance on filling out the application here:

Send the original form and 3 copies of it to the nearest court that deals with children, you can find your nearest court here:

The application will cost £215. If you want to find a solicitor to assist with this process and represent you at the hearing you can find a solicitor using the Law Society find a solicitor search option here: You can search by town or postcode to find one near you, as well as area of law in this case family law.

I hope this helps if you can please accept my answer, there will be a box to do so and give me a five star rating for answering your question top right corner of your screen and just answer will then credit me for helping you today.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please let me know if you need me to clarify anything or if you have any additional questions-I am happy to help!

Joy Nicholas and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you