MARTINT330
MARTINT330,
Experience:  Expert
112154245

My husband and I are thinking of separating and we have the

Customer Question

good afternoon,
JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: my husband and I are thinking of separating and we have the universal credit. The situation is that I don't have enough money to go live in another apartment and neither does he. so we are thinking of staying to live in the same house. What should we say to the universal credit about our situation? because he wants to get out of the universal credtio.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: N76RX, London. United Kingdom
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: we are living sleeping in diferents rooms
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: i think is all
Expert:  MARTINT330 replied 19 days ago.

Hello I am happy to help with your enquiry today. If I do not respond immediately please rest assured I will when next online.

Is your property rented and if so, on what basis and from who?

You'll need to tell the DWP if you move in with or split up with your partner.

If you split up with your partner

Your Universal Credit claim will continue. Your next Universal Credit payment will be on the same day of the month but will be for a single person. This changes how much Universal Credit you get.

You should also tell the DWP about any other changes as a result of splitting up - like changes to address.

In your case if you're still living with your ex-partner

You should still report that you've split up - you should still be able to change to separate Universal Credit claims.

You'll need to tell the DWP that you have 'separate households' even though you share an address. Explain how you're no longer living as a couple - for example if you're cooking separately, have separate finances and don't spend time together.

The DWP might also ask why you're still living together - for example if you can't afford to move out.

I hope this helps. Is there anything else I can help with tonight?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
give me one sec im gonna check my questions
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
The problem is that he wants to cancel the Universal
Credit and i don't know if that affected me

You can use the universal credit calculator to check. Would you like me to send you a link?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
he has a very good income and unfortunatly i don't have the same lucky to afford the payment of the rent if he cancel the universal credit from his side, are they continue helping me? We don't do the Divorced documents yet
Customer: replied 19 days ago.
i can find the link, thanks that so kind from your side

https://benefits-calculator-2.turn2us.org.uk

This is the one recommended by the .gov.uk website.

Is there anything else I can help with tonight?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I know the websides, I checked there before ask you
just I want to be sure What is the best thing that I can do not lost the benefit?

Does the calculator show that you will lose benefit?

It is very important to remember if it changes, it has changed due to entitlement or rather loss of entitlement.
Therefore if you were to go on receiving it, and it was later determined it is not something you were entitled to you will then be in a position we’re you are made to repay it.