How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3485
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I have full parental responsibility of my 3 year old cousin

Customer Question

I have full parental responsibility of my 3 year old cousin Its been ruled from court under a special guardianship order since Dec 2020 I have been trying to get his passport sorted so I can take him abroad etc I have mums dad's his birth certificate someone who has known him signed his photos and also a letter from social services but the passport office saying they will not grant him it due to needing to prove he is a british citizen and need a grand parents birth certificate they have refused to give any certificates and I have sourced most other than grand parents as I do not know their details at all and they said they don't want him going Broad without them but they don't understand that they can only see him 6 times a year. How do I get help to get the birth certificate or passport office to give a passport he is born in the UK mum and dad don't have passports themselves grandparents refusing to help
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: Just tried to explain over and over with passport office and tried to beg for them to help me give the birth certificate information I have tried 4 times with the very little information I do have and saying wrong. My uncle sadly passed away so I don't know any personal information of the grandparents to my cousin
JA: Have they talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No I do not know what to do who to speak to or anything
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 22 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 22 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  If the passport office are not willing to give the passport and the grandparents are not willing to cooperate, you can take legal action to resolve the matter.  Firstly, I would write to them and state that if they do not give you permission to use their certificates, you will take legal action to obtain these, this may make them more willing to do the right thing.  However if that is not the case, you can take the matter to court and obtain an order which will require them to do so.  Once this is executed it should solve the issue.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Hi so what do I ask the solicitor for example the name of the order? And do you know the estimation price of getting the order or weather I can get legal aid?
Expert:  RJM Law replied 22 days ago.

You may be entitled to legal aid, but each case is based on its own merits.  I couldn't give you a price as it will depend on the amount of work, I am sorry to say.  But if looking at representation you can shop around for best prices.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
What is the court order I need please?
Expert:  RJM Law replied 22 days ago.

It would be an order in the family court.  You apply for this using a c100 form.