Marcinlondon
Marcinlondon, Solicitor
Experience:  Qualified Lawyer - 8 years experience
110941711

Does my doughter student loan or maintainence loan affect my

Customer Question

Does my doughter student loan or maintainence loan affect my Universal Credit?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: England
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Expert:  Marcinlondon replied 19 days ago.

Hello, this isCustomerand welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today and I will be happy to advise you to the extent possible on this platform. I will review your question and I will be back with my answer shortly. You will get notified when my answer is ready therefore there is no need to wait online.

Please note that our discussion on this site is for general information purposes only and does not create a lawyer-client relationship. Thank you for your patience whilst waiting for my answer.

Generally, when processing a Universal Credit claim, any loan amount that is intended to cover tuition fees and other costs of study will be excluded. Therefore, your daughter’s loan and grant should not affect your claim.

You can find more information here: Universal Credit and students - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Let me know if you have any other questions. I will be happy to help to the extent I can.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
My doughter renting the house from Uni from the tutition period, on holidays the going home, and weekends to, she is living in my house as well, it may cut my housing benefits about this?

This may, I agree.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Do you got a more information about this?

You will need to disclose it to Universal Credit stating that she will leave certain number of days/months outside and they will asses the claim and let you know if thee will be any impact. I am sure you know that once your child is studying in higher education, they are no longer classed as your dependant. This means you won't be entitled to child benefit or tax credits.