How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Vineet S Your Own Question
Vineet S
Vineet S,
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3087
Experience:  Freelance Solicitor at Self Employed
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Vineet S is online now

I am cohabiting with my partner of 20 years. We are not

Customer Question

I am cohabiting with my partner of 20 years. We are not married, and have two children aged 15 and 16. I own the house, and am the breadwinner. He has state and retirement pension of approximately £800 a month. He pays no bills, and I have until recently given him £1000 a month housekeeping, recently reduced to £800 as 16 year old starting college and many given directly to him. Our relationship is over and I and to ask him to leave. I just wanted to check what I might be liable for when I do
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, because we are not married
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: T] I am in Cornwall We are not married The boys are old enough to make the decision where they want to be Part of the reason I ant him to leave is because of poor relationship with my youngest son which is causing him emotional stress
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I dont think so
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

Welcome to Just Answer, I am a solicitor in England and Wales and I will be dealing with your case today.

Kindly note, I am not available for phone calls at the moment, however I can easily assist you via this online chat.

I will go through your question and will get back to you with my answer shortly.

Meanwhile, please ignore any phone call request pop-up, they get generated automatically without any input from the expert, so I have no control over these requests.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

Hi there,

Unmarried partners do not have same rights to the matrimonial assets as the married couples do.

Unmarried partner can only make claim on the matrimonial assets /family home, depending on the factors whether they are joint owner, or whether they have contributed towards the purchase, mortgage or repair of the household.

Unmarried partners have fewer rights unless any money or property is in joint names or you have entered a cohabitation agreement which sets out the financial arrangements in the event you decide to go your separate ways.

Expert:  Vineet S replied 21 days ago.

I trust this helps.

If you need further assistance, please let me know.

In the meantime, thank you for using Just Answers. Best wishes.