How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4903
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

My ex won't let me see my children but I understand we must

Customer Question

My ex won't let me see my children but I understand we must attend mediation before court proceedings but she refuses to attend whatncan I do
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: None
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: London borough of Croydon
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 13 days ago.

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

I am just going to read through your initial post to see what your legal query is. I may have to ask you some additional questions before I am able to provide a response. Is that all right for you?

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I am not available for phone calls, but can assure you that the response to your query can be answered online.
  2. The website will offer you a phone call - this is automated; if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you. Their number is:(###) ###-####9374
  3. If you do want a phone call, you can request one and another expert will call you. This is separate to the online request which I will respond to.
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if you ask for detailed review of documents this will attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 12 days ago.

If your ex is refusing to attend mediation, you must attend the MIAM yourself and get your form signed by the mediator. You can then go ahead and apply to court for the child arrangements.

See the C100 form for more information on the MIAM and to check if you meet any of the limited exceptions for attending. If mediation takes place, hopefully you will reach an agreement, if it doesn’t, the mediator will sign the C100 and you can apply to court.

The application is made on form C100, and the cost is £215 unless the applicant is on a low income or benefits in which case they may be entitled to fee remission, see form EX160. The court will make a decision based on the best interests of the child.

C100 form:

EX160 form:

E160A Notes: