Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My ex partner has passed away I have confirmation from My GP

Customer Question

Hi my ex partner has passed away I have confirmation from My GP that I was his next of kin the family won’t allow me to visit him in the chapel of rest or know any funeral Details I need legal gelo we was not married but he does have 2 step children one which has severe disabilities
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: I don’t know what to do Can that be done on legak aid
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: harrow Middlesex can you help fins me a solicitor in that area
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I don’t know
Expert:  Stuart J replied 20 days ago.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Did he leave a Will at all giving you instructions regarding his funeral?
and do the step children live with you?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
both live with me and verbal
Instructions on what he wanted when passing
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I need legal aid
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I don’t have any more money all
Ready paid £5 to get help
Expert:  Stuart J replied 20 days ago.

You have probably seen a pop-up offering you the chance of a telephone call at an extra cost.  It is up to you whether you have a telephone call or not but do bear in mind that a 15-30 minute telephone call covers an awful lot of ground and you can get an awful lot of information in that time.  So you can ignore it or go ahead or go ahead later.  It’s your choice.

Meanwhile, we can carry on on here.

You are not next of kin.  Next of kin as the nearest blood relative.  You may have been the person to be contacted in the event of death or injury and that is very often put down as next of kin but legally, you have no rights here because you were not married.

By the same token nor do his step children have any rights because in the majority of cases the law does not acknowledge step children.

I’m sorry to say therefore that because your late partner did not make adequate provisions to make you the executor of his estate, in effect, you can be locked out.

I’m sorry, I know it’s not the answer you wanted.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have