How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JeremyT1020 Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 473
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JeremyT1020 is online now

Divorced from wife. 2 children (boys aged 4 & 3) Ex has

Customer Question

Divorced from wife. 2 children (boys aged 4 & 3)
Ex has applied to court for an arrangement order.
After an argument last Tuesday, she has reported me to the Met Police. Reason used unknown. She will not talk to me to discuss visiting my boys which means I cannot see them. This is a unilateral decision by my ex and not by the courts.
Also she has a new partner. I have kindly requested the guys first and second name.
These questions are being ignored. Where do I stand re this basic info??
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 16 days ago.
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and children's matters so I'd be happy to help. First and foremost, has she introduced the children to the new partner? Secondly, have the police served a harassment notice on you? Thanks, J
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 16 days ago.
Also, I'm unable to take calls this evening. If you wanted a call, I could either speak to you tomorrow or I can opt out and let another expert call you.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Hello. Yes the new partner has very much been introduced.
No the police haven’t served a harassment order. In fact they have made zero contact with me (likely because I haven’t harassed my ex) I am happy to proceed by this message forum. Thank you
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 15 days ago.
Hello again and thank you for that additional information. If the new partner has been introduced, your wife is really playing fast and loose with the children's welfare after such a short period of time. The recommendations are not to introduce children to new partners for at least 6 months. You don't have an absolute right to know his name but, for the sake of responsible co-parenting, your ex-wife should tell you a little bit about him. After all, you should hope that the kids get on OK with him as it makes that co-parenting easier.If she persists with refusing contact, you may have to consider an application to court for a Child Arrangements Order. In the first instance, consider offering mediation where the 2 of you could sit down and discuss arrangements. If she's not prepared to do that, you can apply to court.
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you. She will unlikely engage in mediation as she has already refused/applied to court herself on the back of false allegations.
Can you confirm that I am able to apply to court myself even though she has already done so? I don’t want it to look like a tit for tat situation (which it isn’t on my part). All I want is to see my children and for them to be safe
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 15 days ago.

If she's applied to court herself, then there's probably little point in applying yourself. It is possible that you don't feel like she's covering "all the bases" in her application and you could make your own application but all that would happen would be the court simply conjoin the 2 applications at the first hearing.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
AThat makes sense. Thank you for you help and assistance
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
My apologies, I’m happy to post as a new question if need be.
Where do I stand in regards ***** ***** preventing me from seeing or even trying to arrange to see my boys? There is no court order in place, no police intervention? She has just stopped all communication which means cutting me off from my children. They live 180 miles away so can’t just pop round to the house and even if I could she would likely call the police. I’m finding it difficult to not see the boys under these circumstances and fear this may be a precursor to her potentially taking the boys out of the country or certainly to a location that I am unaware of.
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 14 days ago.
Hello again. Unfortunately, when there's no court order in place and she's steadfastly refusing to allow the children to have contact with you, you either have to wait until a court hearing or make an application for interim contact to be listed urgently. In fairness, the application is unlikely to succeed unless there are genuine and/or urgent reasons for interim contact. If there's undisclosed safeguarding issues, I suspect the court would simply refuse the application or list it to be heard at the same time as the first hearing.
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 13 days ago.
Hello again. I can see that you haven't responded to my last reply so I trust you are happy with my answers to your questions. If you need any further assistance, please let me know. Kind regards, J