How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3480
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I separated with my children father 2yrs ago.At the time he

Customer Question

I separated with my children father 2yrs ago.At the time he claimed the child benefits
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: After we separated I changed it to my name.I got claim rival number.Im Currently trying to put my son to nursery and am being told that my details doesn't match the details in HMRC
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: Not yet
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: We did settlement scheme as joint claim we came from EU country
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We were not married
Expert:  RJM Law replied 18 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Am non EU citizen and his EU citizen
Expert:  RJM Law replied 18 days ago.

Apologies but I am not able to take a call at the moment.  I have read your information, I wondered if you could let me know wt your question is specifically  please.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What should I do to make sure I can extend my documents without him after 5years and why hmrc can't seem to match my details and how should I go about it?
Expert:  RJM Law replied 18 days ago.

The first thing to do is find out who has the correct details and then change your details with the other, if HMRC. have the correct details for you then you will have to contact the DWP and change your details to the correct ones or vice versa.  This is one issue to resolve, in terms of the benefits for your child, you will still be able to make a claim, however it will differ slightly as you are not longer with your partner, but there are still benefits available to assist you.

However, the best thing you can do is enlist the help of the Citizens Advice Bureau.  They have appointed benefits advisers who are experts in this matter.  If you go to them with all your documents then they will be able to assess the situation for you.  The Citizens Advice also have programme called QBC this will allow them to input all of your information and do an assessment on your individual situation without having to contact the DWP.  This QBC system will also be able to highlight and identify any benefits you may be entitled to but are not qualifying at the moment.  If you application is rejected then the CSA can help you with any mandatory reconsideration as well as potentially provide you with representation at a benefits tribunal should this become necessary.

I hope this information has helped.  You can find a local solicitor who deals with this on the law society webpage which is;

If you require any help moving forward on this matter in the  future,  please do feel free to come back to us and I would be more than happy to assist.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thankyou so much.
Expert:  RJM Law replied 18 days ago.

You are welcome and I wish you all the bets moving forward.