JimLawyer
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
97337639

I’m being slandered and liber for years by my ex partner.

Customer Question

Hi, I’m being slandered and liber for years by my ex partner.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Manchester
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: non
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: All this slander and libel against me is because we are split up bad and we have a daughter, and we been in court many times, we have a court order
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer. I will be the lawyer working with you today.
Sorry to hear of the issue. I will set out my written answer shortly.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

You may have a case against your ex if your reputation has been damaged.
In UK law, a defamation claim requires that someone has either verbally said something (slander), or written something (libel) which was untrue and they knew it to be untrue - with the intention to damage your reputation. The untrue comments have to be brought to a third party’s attention to qualify.
There is a defence if the person who made the comments can prove the comments were true, or they held an honest belief their comments were true.
So there is a high evidential burden to prove defamation - meaning a lengthy court case.

And the person who defamed you needs the means to pay any court judgment which is another consideration - it is all well and good to sue but ultimately if they have no money then it would be a pyrrhic victory and not worth going to the time and expense in my view.

You can claim for any financial loss incurred such as lost business, lots future job prospects and anything else reasonably incurred.

The limitation period is only 1 year for a defamation claim, so you should ensure you issue the claim at court within a year of the incident.

To stop further damage you need to send them a cease and desist letter. A template “cease and desist” letter is available at https://www.lawdepot.co.uk/

These claims are complex with them being heard in the High Court so you would be well advised to instruct a firm on a no win no fee basis - a few do offer this so you would not have to pay anything up front. Here are examples of law firms who could help you with this :

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

I hope this helps and answers the question - my goal is to ensure you are happy with the answer and have the information you need. If you have any follow up questions then please let me know. I will reply as soon as I can to help with any further queries.

Many thanks,
Jim

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 15 days ago.

Please let me know if the answer helped or if you need me to cover anything else?. I am happy to clarify the answer or if you have any follow up questions. If so, I’d be grateful if you would let me know. I am free most days, including weekends, so feel free to ask me anything you are unsure of.

Best wishes,

Jim