How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8288
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I have lived with my partner since March 2019 I gave up my

This answer was rated:

HiI have lived with my partner since March 2019 I gave up my job to help him grow his business which has gone from a turnover of 100k to 1.8m - I have never had a contract but worked probably more hours than him to grow this, we are on the verge of splitting up and all I have is a pay of 1k a month (we both do to avoid tax) then he draws dividends to pay for our lifestyle and bills.I wanted to know if I have any rights at all as he is sole director but obviously we worked this way as I trusted him.All annual profit for the past 2 years which is about 150k he has withdrawn and is in his savings account - which we were meant to use as a house deposit.Thank you

Good afternoon.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

I'm afraid that as an unmarried partner and an employee of the company, you don't have rights as such over the company's assets.

If you had been married, the picture may have been different, as the company could have been considered a marital asset.

But the harsh reality (and unfair reality in my view) is that the law does very little to compensate unmarried partners, even if their partner is asset rich, when a relationship breaks down.

I'm very sorry about this, it's not nice having to deliver bad news.

Is there anything further/ specific that I can assist with at this stage?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you so much for the clarification, someone mentioned that after 2 years if you lived together I may have some rights as a common law partner? Especially if I am earning below minimum wage?
Thank you again

Very happy to help.

I'm afraid that the phrase 'common law partner' is so often misused in the UK. It has no legal meaning I'm afraid, and the reference to two years is not based on the law but most likely hearsay. Again, I'm sorry.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

plclegal and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you