How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3448
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

I've been seperated husband for 16 months and have not

Customer Question

I've been seperated husband for 16 months and have not worked for 2 yrs. My wife works full time, and has savings of 20000 and private I have a private pension and savings of 50k.what can she claim.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Poole
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: She has a private pension and working 16k a year with savings of 16000 and I gave her about 4k when she walked out. I'm unemployed two years with 50k and private pention not activated yet.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Poole in Dorset England I am 61 yrs old she has saving of 16k to 20k and earns 16k
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
She has not started divorce proceedings what can she claim
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have 50k in savings
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
She is 54 with a stake holders pension she pays into but does not retire until 66 for state pension
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can i include my wife salary in settlement
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Please advise
Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Thank you.

Expert:  RJM Law replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for the question.   Most monies inclusive of savings, pensions, stocks, properties etc. which have been obtained by both parties during the course of the marriage are considered matrimonial assets and therefore legally belong equally to both parties.  Therefore if you have both saved a total of £100k throughout the marriage but £70k of that came from your partner's savings (during the course of the marriage) you are still entitled to £50k.  Therefore legally you are both enticed to half of the matrimonial assets even if one of you has contributed more than the other.  Obviously this is a very black and white way of looking at it and matrimonial assets may not include everything owed by both of you such as inherited property for example.  Therefore if you have separated, then I would look at obtaining a separation agreement which will outline your fiduciary rights moving forward.  I would advise instructing a solicitor in this matter so you are fully aware of all your rights prior to entering into any agreement.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.