How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1586
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

Long story my wife has serious mental health issues and has

Customer Question

Long story my wife has serious mental health issues and has left me.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no my question is
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: is she responsible to pay half of all utility bills whilst I remain in the marital home which is up for sale
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

Good morning.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

I'm afraid when someone leaves a property, even a marital home, they are not normally expected to contribute towards the utility bills.

This is unless they had been the main earner, and had a decent salary, in which case the remaining spouse could apply to court for interim maintenance to cover the costs that they cannot afford.

But the norm is that the leaving spouse would not have to pay half of the utilities.

I trust that this answers your question? Can I clarify anything further for you today?