How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8288
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

My daughter has a child by an exboyfriend who has mental

Customer Question

My daughter has a child by an exboyfriend who has mental health issues and killed a man whilst in a sykcocis state. He was put in a mental institute and still resides there he’s going under rehabilitation at present and has got a social worker to try to contact my daughter to see if she would allow their son to see him . Her son is being tested for autism and she doesn’t want him in kaidens life also his name has been changed by depole can she stop him from getting any access to her son ?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: Not as yet but her son is only 4yrs old and has never seen his dad .
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: No papers have been served
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: her son finds change very hard to deal with it’s took 3years for my grandson to feel happy staying with me because of his autism issues he’s very nervous of change and strange people
Submitted: 6 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 5 days ago.

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Expert:  plclegal replied 5 days ago.

Good morning.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Expert:  plclegal replied 5 days ago.

She does not have to agree to contact with her ex boyfriend if she feels that this is not in the best interests of her son.

In this case, her ex would have to apply to court to try and gain some contact time. He would have to convince the court that a) he was safe and b) that any contact would be in her son's best interests.

These are pretty big hurdles for him to have to get over given the history.

So for now, she doesn't have to agree to anything and she will have to wait and see if he decides to take this further and apply to court. There's no specific order she needs to apply for as he is institutionalised and there's no way of him having contact at the moment.

Can I clarify anything further for you at this stage?

Expert:  plclegal replied 5 days ago.

I didn't hear from you, but I trust that the information provided was of assistance.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Expert:  plclegal replied 3 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter