RJM Law
RJM Law, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
106205234

I am from Nigeria. I want to apply for a UK student visa.

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: I am from Nigeria. I want to apply for a UK student visa. However I legally adopted my niece I have been staying with; same surname When apply should I say she is adopted or just include her as my daughter
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any paperwork with the UK government? What country do you live in? What is your citizenship?
Customer: I am from Nigeria. Going on student visa masters program
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about the student visa?
Customer: Yes I have. I am entitled to vo with my dependants
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The adpotion is a recent one, she is 13yrs and my oldest child is 7 years
Expert:  RJM Law replied 10 days ago.

Welcome and thank you for choosing our service, I will be the expert assisting you with this matter today.   I appreciate this matter is important to you and I shall try to resolve it as precisely and quickly as possible for you today.

Please note; there may be delays between messages as the experts on this website all work on a third party basis and are not online full time however, I shall endeavour to respond to your question as soon as possible.  I look forward to assisting you in this matter.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
No calls pls
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Are you there
Expert:  RJM Law replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  Legally she is your child so you will want to list her on the form as such.  I would however, inform them that she is adopted and also provide evidence to show the same.  The reason for this would be that if they realise she is adopted further down the line, it may postpone matters which they clarify the adoption.  If you deal with this and are foredooming from the beginning it may prevent any complications further down the line.

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I learnt that adoption orders from Nigeria will no longer be honoured by the UK embassy, Is that true?
Expert:  RJM Law replied 10 days ago.

That is something you would require to speak with our Home Office about, it will depend if it meets the UK legal threshold.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
That was why I contacted you. To know the recent thing and how to go about it
Expert:  RJM Law replied 10 days ago.

If you adoption is accepted to be legal in by the UK legal standard, then it should be accepted.   You will have to show the home office your evidence of adoption and they will be able to make a determination on whether it is acceptable or not, I am afraid this is not for me to say.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Is Nigeria adoption oreder acceptable in Uk legal standards for visa applications
Expert:  RJM Law replied 10 days ago.

It can be yes, so long as it meets the requirements.  There is case law to support this.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Pls what are the requirements
Expert:  RJM Law replied 9 days ago.

The Nigerian adoption would have to meet the UK legal threshold.  I cannot assess this for you the Home Office would require to determine that.