How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JeremyT1020 Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 476
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JeremyT1020 is online now

I have been living in the marital home for over 8 years

This answer was rated:

I have been living in the marital home for over 8 years paying the mortgage and all the bills. My husband is now wanting half of the house. The mortgage I can get on my own is not enough to buy him out, so selling it will make me homeless. He is living with his girlfriend of 5 years and trying to say they are not in a relationship.Will the court make me sell?

I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters so I'd be happy to offer some guidance. First and foremost, do you and your husband have any children? Secondly, have you or him actually started divorce proceedings? How much is the house worth?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
no children. we would have to sell the house to be able to buy else where. she is in the same position as when we met, and so am I, there are no liabilities flowing from the marriage
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
we kept all our finances separate until the last year, when we bought a house to make money only
Hello again and thank you for your patience. The starting point for any financial division following divorce is a 50:50 split of the matrimonial assets. Your best option is to argue your case on the basis of needs. You will need more from the sale of the matrimonial home to rehouse yourself. He is living with somebody else and has a roof over his head - his housing needs are met.Out of interest, what is the maximum mortgage capacity you can raise? Have you looked at part-rent, part-buy properties? They are often more affordable?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
because of my age I can't get a mortgage for more and £5,000
He has been living with his girlfriend for many many years, he is claiming they aren't living together
I suspect you may be able to get a larger share of the equity but, if the matter went to court, you'd be looking at a sale of the house. It may be a deferred sale - after a couple of years but the court will most likely order a sale. How much is the house worth? Have you investigated all options? Spoken to housing associations about part-rent, part buy?
Hello again. I note that I haven't heard from since my last response 4 days ago. I trust that I answered your question satisfactorily even if it may not necessarily been what you wanted to hear. If you do need any further assistance, please let me know. Otherwise, thank you for your question and for using Just Answer. Kind regards, J
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 476
Experience: Expert
JeremyT1020 and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 days ago.
thank you