How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4924
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

My wife is going to divorce me and says she can get half of

This answer was rated:

My wife is going to divorce me and says she can get half of Mt pension
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No, we have 2 adult children and they have been very supportive of there mother
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No. I have been waiting to sort out the sale of the house, now she has come out with the idea of having half my pension money for the hurt and upheaval I have caused
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I have tried to be as accommodating as possible but all she wants is more money

Hi, I’m Lea and I will be assisting you with your query today.

The starting point for a medium to long term marriage is 50/50, with the court being able to adjust according to the parties' needs and the factors as listed in s25of the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973. If you google this legislation you will be able to read the full list of factors the court takes into consideration.

The finances will only be settled by a court once the decree nisi is pronounced, and will not take effect until the decree absolute is pronounced. You may have to attend mediation before either of you can apply to court for the finances.

The finances will include any assets accrued during the marriage, including pensions.

The following is useful info to assist you with the site:

  1. I am not available for phone calls, but can assure you that the response to your query can be answered online.
  2. The website will offer you a phone call - this is automated; if you inadvertently click for a phone call but don’t want one, kindly refer the matter directly to customer services so that they can assist you. Their number is:(###) ###-####9374
  3. If you do want a phone call, you can request one and another expert will call you. This is separate to the online request which I will respond to.
  4. Please note that you have paid for an answer to your initial query – if you ask for detailed review of documents this will attract a premium service offer.
  5. Please note this is a Q&A site – there is no client/lawyer relationship involved. You are a customer of Just Answer.
  6. If it is a weekend, or evening/late, please be aware that responses may be slower. This is NOT a chat service, it is email based.
SASH_Law and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you