Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My mum gave a child up for adoption 30+ years ago! Now she

Customer Question

My mum gave a child up for adoption 30+ years ago! Now she is back claiming she is next of kin and has a piece of paper to prove this…how is this possible? My full family are upset and astonished. My mother has irecently died and she wants to organise the funeral??? I have 8 biological siblings??? What is going on?
JA: What steps have been taken? Have any papers been filed in family court?
Customer: I only found out today my mum died on Wednesday
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does she live in?
Customer: Stirling Scotland
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: she says she got a carer to witness papers. I only moved to England 6 months ago, she say my mother hadn’t seen me in 3 years…total lie! My mother had mental health issues.
Expert:  Virtual-mod replied 13 days ago.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 12 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

If the child was put up for adoption then she is no longer legally your sibling or your mothers daughter. She would not be next of kin and has no authority to arrange the funeral. I trust this assists