How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Inderdeep Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 160
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Inderdeep is online now

Hope you’re well. I’m having issues contacting my children

Customer Question

Hi, hope you’re well. I’m having issues contacting my children as their mother has cut off communication with me. I want to know what can be done legally as the children need to see me regularly and I miss them
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I’m in london
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I’ve been to my child’s school to meet with her during pick-up
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I pay for swimming lessons so I’ve been there when lesson is due but she’s not made him attend
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’ve written a letter highlighting the importance of seeing my children, existing safe-guarding issues and the days/times I can see them as well as talk to them on the phone twice a week. When I last spoke to her at the school, she said I’d have to wait for an answer because she wanted to go to family court. My response was, in the mean-time shouldn’t I be making the effort to see my children? Why should they suffer whilst you struggle to make the decision?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m not so keen to drag my young children through family court. However, I’ll consider it if all my options run dry
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Please see letter page 1
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Page 2
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 13 days ago.

Thank you for your enquiry. I will be assisting you today.

Expert:  Inderdeep replied 13 days ago.

Please note:

My replies will be in writing as i am not available for telephone calls.

Any pop up requests are generated by the website.

If you accept or request a call request pop up this will be subject to further charges. In addition if i cannot accept the same it will be with whichever expert that is available.

If i am required to look advise you on the contents of a legal document this will be subject to additional costs.

If i do not respond immediately it may because i am away but will respond to your enquiry.

We are legal experts and provide general advice to your enquiries. We do not provide legal representation nor can we act on your behalf.

If you require urgent legal representation you should contact either of the;;

I will now turn to your enquiry and assist you as best i can.

Expert:  Inderdeep replied 13 days ago.

You will need to contact a local family mediator and have an initial consultation. You are required to do this before making any court application. You can find a list of mediators here:-

They will be able to tell you if mediation is suitable or not and provide the relevant form if it is not suitable to allow you to make an application to the court.

The court form you would need would be C100 enclosing the mediator form and paying the court fee. More information can be found here:-

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I’m aware the court encourages communication between the two parties, so in the case whereby this is intentionally being blocked by one party, will it help my case if I’m able to prove this? They believe I’m harassing them with phone calls whereas all I’m attempting to achieve is a discussion for arrangements.
Also, do I need a solicitor to represent me in court or can I represent myself?
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 13 days ago.

It wont necessarily help your case at this stage but is an indication that this could be contentious. If the mother does not engage in proceedings or comply with court orders then the court can make orders against her.

You will need to be careful in light of your conviction, so i advise you contact a mediator and explain the case briefly to them. They may say mediation is not suitable and provide you with the completed MIAM form you need to submit with your application.

You can lodge the application yourself and do not need legal representation. You may want to instruct someone once a hearing has been listed.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
In the absence of any order what are my visitation rights? When the phone calls haven’t been answered I have attended the address and knocked on the door to see the children.
She is preventing my children from seeing me whilst she pollutes their mind about me, I believe to cover up truthful matters they might disclose. I have a wonderful relationship with my children when there’s no interference such as this.She has tried to stop me from coming to the immediate vicinity of the block and consequently sent her 14-year-old sister to bring the children to the bus stop across the road, is this not a safe-guarding issue? I’ve had to take them back directly to the door as I refuse to hand my 2-year-old especially to another minor in the dangerous, busy street. She’s then refused to come to the door because I am there holding my toddler, waiting to hand her over. I’ve waited for half an hour and then gone away with my child. She’s then called the police to come after I’d left the premises with one of my children; they wouldn’t let my son back out after he’d gone into the house but he was happy to come with me also.
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 12 days ago.

I can understand it is a very difficult time however the only recourse you have is the steps advised. Locating and contacting a mediator will not take that long to undertake the MIAM, the sooner you do that the sooner you can get your application filed with the court as thats where this matter will need to be settled.

Expert:  Inderdeep replied 12 days ago.

I hope this has assisted and thank you for using our services.