How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawry Your Own Question
Lawry, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 380
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawry is online now

I have a family member living in my house pays no rent or

This answer was rated:

I have a family member living in my house pays no rent or bills and has no agreement the relationship has broken down because he wants to bring his son to live here despite my forbidding it as I cannot have the vaccine cos of health issues and the son is mixing with all sorts. What are my options please?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in family court?
Customer: No I have not I know he will cause havoc and be extremely rude and nasty - is going to court my only option please
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I do know but is there any alternative to court action - the threat of it may be enough?
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am 76 and having to shield am chronically sick and stressed out with this - I neither want or can have the boy here - he is trouble! He is 16 and lives with his mother I do not know where she lives


My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

I am sorry you are experiencing this problem and appreciate that it is causing you great stress.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I have just paid the £5 fee and do not know what to do next - I am pretty useless with computers - am too old and poorly for this sort of thing!

As it is your house and the family member staying is your invitee you have every right to refuse to let their son join him.

He has no tenancy and not protected by the Protection from Eviction Act 1977 so he can be removed at ant time by you giving him notice.

He needs to appreciate you are being very kind to him allowing him to live there rent free but he must abide by your rules and respect your rights.

You are perfectly within your rights to refuse to let the boy in.

If he refuses to accept your authority and respect your wishes you will have to enforce your rights.

I suggest you speak to a solicitor to write to him initially telling him that he has no right to bring his son to your home against your wishes.

Try calling the Law Society on 0207(###) ###-####and they can recommend a local firm that can help.

If that is too expensive contact the Citizens Advice Bureau on 0800(###) ###-####

Ultimately, if he won't listen you may have to go to court.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I just want to know what my options are apart from going to court - my pension is only £140 Per week so am struggling already - I call really do without this it is SO stressful!! Thank you I have just seen your answer - told you I am useless with these computers.
That is what I needed to know for sure that he has no rights as I obviously do not want to act out of turn. I have really tried to do this amicably but get ignored or abusive type rudeness! Not funny or at all nice in my situation - that what comes of helping someone out - oh dear!! Really appreciate your help thanks

You are welcome.

If he gets difficult and you feel in any way threatened you should call the police.

Best of luck!

Lawry and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you