How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 24613
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now

I was just wondering I have a 17 year old son who goes to

This answer was rated:

Hi there I was just wondering I have a 17 year old son who goes to college 3 days a week and works 2 days a week should I still pay maintenance for him thanks mark
JA: What steps has the son taken? Has he filed any papers in family court?
Customer: no
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does the son live in?
Customer: Dingwall
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: it was just a agreement me and his mother set up no court involved

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

Do you have a court order for maintenance?

if not was it agreed between you and his mother?

Stuart J and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It was a agreement between me and his mother
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Should I still pay maintenance for my 17 year old son who is in college 3 days a week and works 2 days ?

A non-resident parent has to pay child maintenance at the CMS rates which are here

Do read the whole document but the basic rates start at the top of page 18.

Child maintenance is reduced by 1/7th for each 52 nights that the non-resident parent has the children.

Cutting through all that and cutting through the levels of payment, it’s payable until a child leaves full-time nonadvanced education.

It is not payable if a child is in further education such as college, university, or a vocational course.  As soon as the child starts that course, legally, child maintenance is no longer payable to the non-resident parent.

As your son is now training to be a chef, a vocational course, then child maintenance is no longer payable to the resident parent.

However if you want to make payments directly to the child, (or the non-resident parent) that’s entirely up to you.

And here it is, in the second paragraph of this article:

Incidentally, if the child finishes school in June having done his exams but doesn’t start the new course until September, child maintenance is payable until the beginning of September because the holidays is deemed to be part of the previous year not the following year.  Not applicable in your case because the child started the course six weeks ago in which case, child maintenance is payable up to the start of that catering course.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Kind regards