ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

Jo, I was officially separated approx. March 1986 but cant

Good afternoon Jo, I was officially separated approx. March 1986 but cant find my Legal Separation. I have been on to Legal Aid and the Circuit Court Dublin, also Bray District Court. It was not a Judicial Separation, but one written up by my Solicitor in Legal Aid, D at the time, Desiree O'Rourke and my x-husbands Solicitor in Bray. Joe Maguire.
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I still live in Bray, my residence at the time was***** Bray.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: First I rang the Legal Aid in Dublin who told me they only hold records for 7 years. They told me to get on to the Circuit Family Court, Dublin, who told me to ring the Bray District Court, where I had got a Barring Order at the time, around 1989., Legal Aid Ref. DO/438/84/DOR/MH.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I cant find my original Separation Agreement, and want to get documents in order for my children.

Hi, welcome to JA, I amCustomerone of legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation. I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need a few minutes to read what you shared above, type and respond to you. Feel free to ask any follow up questions as needed until you are satisfied.

Thank for your patience and enquiry.

Unfortunately this is a difficult situation to be in. I also cannot give you any better news. Solicitors are only required to keep documents for a minimum of 7 years, as such, the solicitor not having a copy of the document is not at all unheard of. The only place that is likely to have it would b the court or your ex partner. If the court does not have it, then you could try your ex. Save this, there is no other place that the document would be stored.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This is more or less what I have been told here. Sorry. I didnt realise I was writing to the UK. My mistake. Thank you.

My guidance is also applicable to Ireland . Happy I was able to help.