Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  Senior Partner at Berkson Wallace
11292137

My father recently died and the Executors have not and are

Good morning.
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: My father recently died and the Executors have not and are not making any contact with me, despite my efforts. I am being ignored. I have no information as to Beneficiaries or otherwise. There were strong family objections as to one Executors appointment. This person is know to have already had thousands of pounds from my father when he was alive. We do not trust them as an Executor, for many reasons. What are my rights, please? Regards, Keith
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Hello. Thank you for such a prompt reply. My father died in Sunderland, England, UK. I live in Austria, Europe.I am a UK citizen. My siblings ( Executors) live in England.
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I've been politely asking for information from an Executor (my brother). The second Executor has always and remains a problem to myself and my sister. Neither Executor are making any form of direct contact with me.
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: The second Executor (a sister), is a worry and problem for myself and my younger sister. She has had many thousands from my father over a number of years. We know her to be manipulative, a liar and to deceive. We were always worried about her influence over my father, who developed Dementia over the last few years. Her husband is a convicted criminal who has been in prison.

Hello. Thank you for the question. It is my pleasure to assist your with this today.

Please bear with me and I will be online and off-line from time to time and therefore, may be delayed getting back to you. You will receive an email when I reply.

So the executors are your brother and your sister - is your brother also concerned about the sisters behaviour?

you believe she has coerced your father into giving her money over the years?

and this is about UK property/assets - what are they please?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
My brother seems to be easily influenced by the second Executor (my eldest sister). I disowned her twenty years ago because of something dreadful she admitted to me that contributed to a great deal of pain and problems in my life. My good sister has not spoken to her for some ten years due to her attitude and behaviour. She had a very strong influence over my father for a long time, and coerced money from him which I know amounts to at least forty thousand pounds. Having described this sisters behaviour to a psychologist, he described this sister to me as a psychopathic personality. My father had, at one time, savings of an unknown (to me) amount, which may well have been diminished by this sister over the years. He has a 99 year lease on a property, which will be about 80-84 years now. My main question at the moment is - am I entitled to know who the Beneficiaries are and contact with the Executor(s)? Thank you
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Will your answer cost me more at this stage?

I’m not certain what you mean you say that there was strong family objections to one Executors appointment.  They were appointed by your late father.

The only reason for getting rid of an executor is that either they are doing something which they shouldn’t have done or not doing something which they should have done.

The courts are reluctant to remove and replace executors and whilst the Executor can stand down (renounce) they can only do that if they have not already dealt with any of the estate (intermeddled) otherwise even if they voluntary stepdown it still needs a court order to replace them.

As you appreciate, logistically you have a problem on the other side of the world.

The fact that you disowned your family does not help you because rather than disown your family if things were happening which you didn’t like, you could have taken control of it and stopped it happening.

Are you entitled to know who the beneficiaries are?

In a word, no.

Surprising though it may seem even beneficiaries are not entitled to see a copy of the will although they can get a copy of it once it is admitted to probate because it then becomes public domain.

My personal view however is that all being obstructive does is raise suspicion that something is amiss and hence, if anybody has reasonable cause to request a copy of a will, my advice to executors is to let them have it.

Thank you for letting me assist you with your legal question.  I am glad that I was able to help.

I am not certain whether that answers the question for you or not, but I am happy to answer any specific points arising from this.

It will be my pleasure to help you again either further with this or any future questions you have

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
In disowned her, not my family. Contact with my father, brother and good sister was never lost nor in question. Thank you for your advice. Regards, Keith

Thank you for the clarification. It was my pleasure to assist you. Please come back if anything else crops up and needs clarification.

Thank you for trusting Just Answer, and of course me,  with your legal problem.