plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

I have split with my husband of 32 years we had joint back

I have split with my husband of 32 years we had joint back accounts that all thr bills came out of . My husband has ppi for credit cards that were in his name but paid although our joint accounts. How can I claim half the ppi as I paid it through our joint accounts. ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: Please read above
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: England
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: None
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My husband is not aware of the ppi as he will not part with half the money amicably

Good evening and thank you for requesting help with your legal issue, I am happy to assist. The moderators alerted me to your request for help. I am a family law barrister and will be able to assist you.

I will not be able to respond in full this evening, as I have already finished work for the day. I hope that you don't mind waiting for a response until the morning, when you will have my full attention.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

Thanks for your understanding, Peter

Good morning and thanks for your patience.

The PPI claim money will be considered a marital asset - it relates to miss-sold PPI on credit cards in his name but during the time of the marriage, and as such the compensation award is a joint asset.

You would be entitled to half of any money in the accounts you hold as a starting point.

I trust that this assists in answering your question? Can I clarify anything further for you?

I didn't hear from you, but I trust that the information provided was of assistance.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter