How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5978
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

Recently my mother died and all I want is what is mine but I

Customer Question

Recently my mother died and all I want is what is mine but I have 3 girls who were bought up by my mother due to circumstances that happened years ago, now I can't get any information from them.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in the family court?
Customer: No, I don't really know how to start
JA: The Family Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: I live in England
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I just want you know I won't be able to pay to speak to someone until the end of the week
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 14 days ago.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 14 days ago.
I am a solicitor and I will be reviewing your question.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 14 days ago.
Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I don't really know wher to start
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 14 days ago.

Thank you for your patience. Unless the girls were adopted by mum or unless she left a Will with them as the only beneficiaries you would be entitled to inherit before the girls and any of your siblings if mum was not married at the time of death. If any of mum's assets include a house you should contact the LAnd Registry and register your interest against the title as a potential beneficiary to prevent the house being sold without your agreement.

What you want to establish first is if mum had a Will, if nobody says anything you should work on the assumption she died without a Will and intestate rules apply. You have not said when mum died but if it recent you can look to applying for letters of administration as you are her child and then as administrator you will be able to sort out your mum's affairs and get anything you may be entitled to. If she left a Will then her wishes therein will have to be respected.

Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 14 days ago.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. I am glad to assist or clarify anything for you. All the best.