SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

Bigamy, uk, none, no

Customer Question

bigamy
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 11 days ago.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer.
I am a solicitor and I will be reviewing your question.
Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have uploaded a document which was a bigamy case against me
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I need advise how to defend myself?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
hi, did you get my document?
Thank you for your patience, yes I have received it. I am in court and will review the document once done. Rest assured I will do it today.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
any news on my matter please?
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 10 days ago.

Please bear with me, I am currently on another case. I will be attending to you.

Thank you very much for your patience. As a British citizen you can not be married to two people at concurrently it is a criminal offence, bigamy. The only defence would be if you did not get married again and your wife has fabrictaed the complaint or if you have decree absolute with your wife so that your divorce is registered in England and you are free to remarry. If you are indeed married your new wife will not be able to come to the UK as your dependant. If Sri Lanka permits polygamy then you may be able to stay in Sri Lanka but as British Citizen on returning you would have to answer to the charge of bigamy,

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message and I am glad to assist you further if needed. Thank you for contacting just answer. All the best.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
As you can see in the docs marriage in SL is false name , so really there is no valid marriage to charge me for bigamy.

Hi, I am not sure I can see whether a name is ***** ***** correct. IF you know that you are not married to a second person that would be your defence and without evidence the police will not prosecute if they do not think they will prove beyong reasonable doubt that you have a second wife.