How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jeremy Aldermartin Your Own Question
Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10332
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Jeremy Aldermartin is online now

Divorce equerry, house, yes, Gifted property, No

Customer Question

Divorce equerry
JA: What are the assets involved here? Are there any minor children?
Customer: house, yes
JA: Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?
Customer: Gifted property
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hello. I have been with my partner 10 years married for 7. My wife’s parents bought us a house which is mortgage free. We may be having some issues at the minute, however we are still together. My name is ***** ***** deeds to the property, what rights do I have in Scotland should the worst happen?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.

You would be entitled to half the equity in the property. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Even if it was gifted to us by her parents?
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 15 days ago.

Yes. I trust this assists