How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5212
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

I am completing the C1 re parental responsibility. i know i

This answer was rated:

I am completing the C1 re parental responsibility. i know i need to fill out the FM1 re mediation but i think i am exempt. where can i find a cheap/ free person to sign this off? i think i am exempt as i have a CAO but mother has suddenly suspended contact. i have put in the c79 enforcement application. as i got a declaration of parentage with the CAO, i thought i may as well get the C1 done as been as i am having to go back to court for enforcement. I think i am exempt as mother has cut all contact and she had a non mol in place last year for 6 months (so when i did the c100 last year i was exempt from mediation). in any case, there is no way mother would go to mediation now. are there any free mediators or ways around this?

Hello, how are you today?

My name is ***** ***** I am going to see if I can assist you with your query. Let me just read your first post. I may need to ask you additional questions after I have read your initial post.

If the non mol has run out, you may not exempt from attending a MIAM (that's the requirement by law), and if you do that is when the mediator will sign your FM1 form. Different mediators charge different fees for MIAMs, so you will need to phone around a few to see who is cheapest. You won't get it done for free.

If you are exempt, then the form lists the exemptions and you can tick the one you believe is relevant.

You can find mediators here:

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thanks I believe a mediator needs to sign it even if I am exempt?

No, you tick the exemption yourself and provide proof of your entitlement to that to the court at the first hearing. I have never had anyone be asked for proof of their entitlement to an exemption though.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Oh okay. The FM1 form suggests someone needs to sign it off no matter what?

It actually clearly states that you can claim some exemptions yourself, so if the exemption you think you fit is one of those, you claim it yourself, if it is one a mediator has to sign off on then you have to go to a MIAM.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
ok thanks

You're very welcome. Is everything clear?

Thank you so much for using JA and allowing me to answer your query for you.

If you have questions on different topics, you can open a new thread and mark it for my attention by putting FOR SASH_Law ONLY in the subject heading, or choosing me as your preferred expert from your membership page.

All the best!

SASH_Law and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you