How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8533
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I want to get parental responsibility for my step son. I

Customer Question

I want to get parental responsibility for my step son. I live with his mother and our two other children, we are married and have all lived together for 3 years. The father does not currently see my step son but has just taken up proceeding to do so. I am unable to take my step son to the doctors or A and E due to not having PR.
So going through the court do I need to do mediation or can I apply to court directly? My wife has been involved in domestic abuse from the biological father and had a previous injunction on him.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

Good morning.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Please bear in mind though that this is an email service and not live chat and therefore I may not respond immediately.

Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

An application for parental responsibility would be made on the form C1 - here:

You do need to file a mediation form, the FM1 alongside this. I suspect the case is not suitable for mediation but you will need this confirming by a mediator. The FM1 form is here:

I trust that this assists?

I imagine your application could be joined into any existing proceedings that are ongoing, as commenced by the biological father, as Cafcass will need to assess the impact on your step son of both applications.

Can I clarify anything further?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Thank you. So how do I get a mediator to confirm this? Do I call a local office? And do I have to pay?
Expert:  plclegal replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for the reply. You can find a mediator locally with the link here:

There is a small one off charge for the mediation assessment - MIAM. These vary from provider to provider but should be around £75 at most.

I trust that the information provided was of assistance.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Expert:  plclegal replied 8 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter