Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

In 1973 my mum's saying she legally adopted my sister. She

Customer Question

In 1973 my mum's saying she legally adopted my sister. She had a different dad but my dad adopted her we hen she was so 4 but my mum isn't telling to h we whole story. This makes a huge difference in my dad was estate. How can I find out?
JA: What steps have they taken? Have they filed any papers in the family court?
Customer: I don't follow. My older sister had a different father. My mum says her and my dad adopted her when she was 4 in 1973 but I don't believe they did it legally. I think they just used my dad's name on her birth certificate
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do they live in?
Customer: Plymouth
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Yes my dad has passed and my 2 sister's who are older have come out of no where after 20 years of not seeing it my father and me to take control of the estate
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My dad never left a will because he never thought and myself that my sister's wanted anything of his as they've been absent for 20 years. But I've let them take everything over and if I can proove my older sisters not legally adopted. It's a start
Expert:  Buachaill replied 14 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for your question. I am your Expert and I will provide the answer you require.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
My mum swears that in 1973 she and my dad adopted my sister as she had a different dad from me and the middle sister. I don't believe it was done legal as no social worker was involved and from what I've read about 1973 adoption law. She should of had an assessment. My mum said because she lived with her n my dad for over a certain time that a social assessment wasn't needed.??
Expert:  Buachaill replied 14 days ago.

1.  If your Mum and Dad did actually legally adopt your older sister, there would be a formal Adoption Record which you can search for and find in the General Register Office.  Here is a link to a webpage which sets out how you can find an Adoption Record for your older sister. Adoption records UK: how to find them - Who Do You Think You Are Magazine.  You should search there for the records in relation to your sister.  Be aware that if she was legally adopted, then she is entilted to share in the estate of your father. . If she was not legally adopted, then she will not be able to share in your Dad's estate.

Expert:  Buachaill replied 14 days ago.

2. If you require clarification or if you wish to share additional information, I will  be happy to assist further in the resolution of your question.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
If I call. Can I ask about adoption and my dad's estate??
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Why did I pay 5 pounds please? I have learning disabilitys. Please explain
Customer: replied 14 days ago.

XXXXXXX

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
How can I proove my sister's adoption has never been legal . She may have my dad on her birth certificate but I don't believe anything more than that happened. Because from what I've read about adoption in 1973 as ND what my mum has told me, it's not adding up. Surly social services would have been involved and she would have adoption papers.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 14 days ago.

3.  If your sister has your Dad on her Birth Certificate, then you will need a DNA test to establish whether  you are full sisters or not,  because it will not be possible to ascertain from her Birth Certificate or from an Adoption record whether you were born of the same parents or not.  It is possible to apply to court for blood tests to be taken for DNA purposes to establish paternity.  So, you would need to make an application to court to have a blood sample taken from your sister to establish paternity and whether your father was in actual fact her father.  So, I would advise you to see a solicitor and see about making an application to determine paternity.  In the meantime, you should seek out any  Adoption Records that may be available.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
If I could find adoption records it would answer my question. But I can't find any. Can you suggest any free places I can look. The general register just takes you to birth and death certificate. I'm getting really fustrated.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 13 days ago.

4.  I don't know of any free places you can look for Adoption Records, as most places charge a fee for a search of the Adoption Records.  I would suggest you hire someone to do a search for you if you are having no luck doing it yourself.