How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5885
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

My ex partner has a copy of my mental health assessment can

Customer Question

My ex partner has a copy of my mental health assessment can he give it to the family court without my consent
JA: What steps has he taken? Has he filed any papers in the family court?
Customer: I made an application for a child arrangement order, the court has ordered Cafcass do a section 7 report, my ex has stated he has safeguarding concerns due to my mental health he has a copy of a mental health assessment that was carried out on me from 4 years ago. Is he allowed to give this to Cafcass and the court without my consent
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county does he live in?
Customer: The location is Gloucester England
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No thank you
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Thank you
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Sorry to say, if it is an official report that he has obtained, and he intends to give that to the court in legal proceedings, then yes he can do so.

It is evidence that he has obtained.

You can object to it being given to the court, but the court would more likely ask you is there a previous report and would then order that it be submitted to the court.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No just message please
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

Sorry call offers are auto generated from the site, not from me. I am currently unavailable for calls, but more than happy to continue here.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
even if they are my private documents that he has refused to return to me since we separated he can use them as evidence in court?
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

If he has them yes, as advised, you can object to them being introduced and the court will decide. But again as the report exists, it is very likely the court would want to see the old report.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok, do you think it will affect what recommendations Cafcass will make given it is 4 years old and they have been provided with a very recent gp letter stating my mental health is now stable
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

I really can not answer that, I don't know your case, I have not seen the report.

A letter from a GP is not a mental health report and GPs are not experts in mental health.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Ok thank you for your help
Expert:  james bruce replied 15 days ago.

your welcome, good luck.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.