How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3765
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

Second opinion] I want to apply for a divorce on the basis

Customer Question

second opinion] I want to apply for a divorce on the basis of husbands adultery with an unknown person etc (which he admits ) in November 2020 . We separated 3 months after I found out on feb 2021. Can I apply for divorce now if adultery was a year ago? Thanks
Submitted: 12 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RJM Law replied 12 days ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Thank you

Expert:  RJM Law replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for the question.  You can apply for a divorce on the ground of irrevocable breakdown (adultery included) if you do not have the required separation period.  So the simple answer is yes you can do this, it does not however give you any additional rights in the divorce i.e.e you would not receive more money even though you ar the aggrieved party.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
it doesn’t matter that I am only applying for a divorce a year after the adultery took place ? Thanks very much
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Meant a year after I found out about the adultery
Expert:  RJM Law replied 10 days ago.

If it is the reason for divorce then it will show breakdown of relationship.  If he is not denyinng it then it will make things easy.