How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RJM Law Your Own Question
RJM Law, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3770
Experience:  LL.B (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RJM Law is online now

My husband left me two years ago for another woman. He has

This answer was rated:

My husband left me two years ago for another woman. He has now applied for a Divorce on the grounds that we have been separated. The divorce is not the issue per se with me, but he refused to take his cats but in doing so he promised to pay for any vets fees that might crop up. When he sent me the first set of papers in August I told him I will happily sign once he signs a promissory note stating he will take care of the vet fees. He did not sign the promissory note and went and filed for divorce again but this time cutting me out completely and getting a solicitor to sign the document. I have therefore requested the divorce to be halted until financial arrangements are agreed. I need a lawyer who practices family and also accepts legal aid because I am on a small income.
JA: Were any of the assets acquired before the marriage? Or given through an inheritance?
Customer: No
JA: Where are you located? Divorce laws vary by location.
Customer: Leith in Edinburgh
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I cannot think of anything at present.

Hello, and thank you for choosing our service today.   I am the expert who shall assist you with this matter today.

Please note that our service is conducted through emails and from time to time there may be a delay between answers and responses, this is due to the expert availability at the time.  If you do not receive a response immediately, please be advised you will receive one by the end of the day

I will be able to provide you with guidance in relation to your question.  However please note this does not form a professional client relationship and we cannot provide representation, however, I would be hopeful that my guidance will be able to assist you.

Thank you

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you I just need this question answered as to where I go next legally
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you I just need this question answered as to where I go next legally.

You have done the right thing here, you will have to organise financial settlement prior to the divorce being executed.  If you cannot come to an agreement, you can take it court for a judges decision.  It is important to understand your statutory matrimonial rights so you receive what you are entitled to under law.  You will need to or you.  a legal aid application however your solicitor will do that for you.

I shall provide you with a helpful link that will assist you in finding a solicitor/representative near your local area.  This will provide you with someone nearby your area who can assist you if required.

I hope this information proved helpful.  You will find a local solicitor who deals with these matters on the law society webpage which is as follows; (England) (Scotland) (Ireland) (N. Ireland)

Hopefully, I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Should you require any further assistance on this matter, please do not hesitate to post a further questions for additional assistance.

Kindest Regards.

RJM Law and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thank you you have been really helpful.

You are welcome and I wish you all the best.