How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8561
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

Child maintenance, I have been paying Child maintenance for

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: Child maintenance, I have been paying Child maintenance for my son who is 19 will be 20 in December, I received a letter from Child support change my amount I pay ,now I pay less but I have joint parent with the ex wife, because she sold the house I cannot see my son anymore no contact on the, my ex won't where they move too, what is my position at this point, please?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in the family court?
Customer: No ,I don't know what to ask for?
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: UK, Kingston ,Surrey
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: When do I legally stop paying When he is age 20?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

Good morning.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Please bear in mind though that this is an email service and not live chat and therefore I may not respond immediately.

Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

Can you tell me if your son is still in a-level education(or equivalent)?

Is your maintenance court ordered or through the CMS (formerly CSA)?

Expert:  plclegal replied 16 days ago.

Hello. Without the information I asked for, I can only give you a general answer, but I hope this helps. You can always come back to me for clarification if needed.

Child maintenance is only payable up to the end of secondary education (a-level or equivalent) and this can extned to age 20 if your child remains in this phase of education.

The cut off point, unless there is a court order stating otherwise, is age 20.

A court order could have been agreed as part of a divorce for maintenance to extend to university age, but this is not the norm.

I trust that this information provided is of assistance.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

Expert:  plclegal replied 13 days ago.

Thank you again for visiting JustAnswer, please do let me know if you have any additional questions in the future. I am also happy to answer any new questions on other topics that you may have, you can request me by putting “for PLCLEGAL” at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter