How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JeremyT1020 Your Own Question
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 575
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JeremyT1020 is online now

Me and my ex wife divided 12 years ago I am living in the

This answer was rated:

Me and my ex wife divided 12 years ago I am living in the property with my new wife both our names are ***** ***** deeds me and my ex wife she has not contributed towards the property in this time now she wants. A claim in it
JA: Was the property purchased during the marriage?
Customer: yes
JA: Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Good morning and thank you for your question.  I'm a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters so I'd be delighted to offer some guidance.

I cannot take a call at this moment in time although I can continue messaging.

If you receive a pop-up offering a call and you need to speak to somebody urgently, please let me know and I will opt out of this question and allow another expert to call.

First and foremost, how long were you married to your first wife?  How long did you and her have the house together?  How much is it worth now?

Thanks ,J

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Married for 12 years the house is worth now 90000 but when she left a lot less the Morgage. Is interest only with 12 months to run £67500 left owing
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We had the house together for 7 years
Hello again and thank you for the information. Although you've remarried, has your ex-wife remarried? If so, she might be debarred (disallowed) from making a claim through the courts.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
she remarried in 2011
In that case, she has no action against you under the Matrimonial Causes Act as you've both remarried but it's possible she could claim a beneficial (monetary) interest in the property under the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act. She would claim that some of her money contributed to that property years ago. It would be up to her to quantify it though.
Good morning. I note I have not heard from you for a couple of days so I trust you're happy with my answers to your questions. Please let me know if you need any further
help, otherwise, thank you for your question and for using Just Answer. Kind regards, J
JeremyT1020 and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you