How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JimLawyer Your Own Question
JimLawyer, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 15409
Experience:  Senior Associate Solicitor
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JimLawyer is online now

I am considering getting a divorce but I am on benefits, No

Customer Question

I am considering getting a divorce but I am on benefits
JA: What are the assets involved here? Are there any minor children?
Customer: No our youngest child was born in2003
JA: Where are you located? Divorce laws vary by location.
Customer: Hatfield
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: I am not sure I want to divorce after 30 years but I want to explore my options before I do anything
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Hello, this is Jim and welcome to JustAnswer.

Thank you for the question, I am reviewing the details now and I will aim to resolve it as quickly as possible for you.

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

If you receive means tested benefits then you should be able to obtain a court fee exemption. To petition for a divorce there is a court fee of £593 - though you mentioned you are receiving benefits which means you should be able to claim a fee exemption. You can petition for a divorce here:
You will note on that link the help with fees tab which you can click to apply for that too.
If the divorce is likely to be contested / if you have assets to split then a solicitor could be instructed - there are pro bono lawyers around who would not charge you if you met their criteria.

If you need a lawyer to act for you then there are pro bono (free of charge) lawyers who could assist you. You can try these firms for legal representation (they are a charity who connect you to pro bono lawyers) : LawWorks or /

Here is another:

And there is this one too : Advocate: Finding free legal help from barristers

Or if none of the above can help, you can find a local solicitor via this site:

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

I hope this answers the question. If you have any follow up questions then please do let me know.

Many thanks,

Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Just a final note that I am free most days and would be happy to assist with any other queries you may have.

Best wishes,


Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am really depressed in my marriage and I think it's unhealthy
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

Thanks and sorry to hear that. Please let me know if can answer anything else for you.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I don't think it will be contested, as I think we both know our marriage of 30 has run it's course
Expert:  JimLawyer replied 8 days ago.

OK, thanks. If it's uncontested then it would be a simple procedure, a petition is filed, they respond to it to confirm if they will contest it or not. If not then decree nisi will be pronounced. You then apply for decree absolute which then dissolves the marriage.