How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask plclegal Your Own Question
plclegal, Barrister
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 8555
Experience:  Barrister at law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
plclegal is online now

I have separated from my partner and we have house and goods

This answer was rated:

Hi I have separated from my partner and we have house and goods togather . I don't have much financial option to effort lawyer and spendings for court. First of al my situation is like this . We bought house in Whitehaven on her name with mortgage. We are not married. All money gone out from her account for mortgage. Now she is keeping all . I have 2 daughter s with her 2 years mine, 5 years step daughter. I need to secure our goods for children if possible or want to take my part from her . Can you pls help me
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this? In which country do you live? If different, which country is your legal question related to?
Customer: I did get some advice online . But didn't talked a lawyer yet. I'm in UK
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: Nothing so far
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: No

Good afternoon.

My name is ***** ***** I specialise in family law. I’m happy to assist you today and I appreciate that is is important that you find a resolution as soon as possible.

Please note that our discussions on this site are for general information purposes and do not create an lawyer-client relationship. It is always recommended that you consult with a local solicitor for specific legal information.

I'll do my best to resolve this for you, please give me time to review your question and I will revert back to you shortly.

Please bear in mind though that this is an email service and not live chat and therefore I may not respond immediately.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok thanks waiting for it

Of course - can you clarify what you contributed towards the purchase and the mortgage please?

Are you having regular time with the children since you separated?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We bought house on last may 17000 deposit. We separated on 05/10/2021. I don't have problem to see children at the moment. We had car value is around 1200. We bought house goods and renovation cost around 5000 . We had universal credit account jointly and all our help was coming to her account. Whatever I was earning was for house needs like rent bills . From the date we moved here I was paying electric and gas payments and house needs and money for council tax mortgage etc. Was going from her account. Mortgage was on her name but I was in the contract like accupaying ( like person who is staying there).

Thank you - where did the deposit for the house purchase come from?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
We had 2 isa account s for me and her. I gave mine to her. And around 10000 came from my brother s wife as present.

I see, thank you. So its clear that the deposit was not just her money, which is helpful.

As you are not married, you are going to have to look to trusts law to assist you with this. It's not an easy area of law, but it is possible to work through this yourself.

You could end up making an application to court but in the first instance I would suggest that you set up a mediation assessment with a view to trying to resolve the issue through mediation.

You can locate a mediator locally with the link here:

If you do need to go to court, you'll have to write a formal letter to your ex first, setting out the basis of your claim and asking them to consider settlement. But this would come after mediation.

I trust that this assists?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.

My pleasure.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you.

plclegal and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you