How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SolicitorRM Your Own Question
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5978
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SolicitorRM is online now

I'm in a very, very difficult situation. My husband passed

Customer Question

Hi, I'm in a very, very difficult situation. My husband passed away in March 2020 and since then, living with my adult son (almost 31) has become increasingly unbearable. He shouts abuse at me on a regular basis and I live in fear that he will hurt me. He does not work and therefore makes no contribution to the household; financially or otherwise. I have contacted mental health services but was told that as he's an adult, he has to choose to seek help, which he won't. I also told them that I was frightened so they called the police. My son was arrested for assault, because he had grabbed my wrists and broken the lock on my bedroom door, I was trying to get away from him. I allowed him home again because he has nowhere else to go, he has fallen out with all his friends. Things have been even worse since then (approximately 3 weeks ago). I don't want to put my own child out on the street but I can't live like this any longer. What can I do?
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in the family court?
Customer: No.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: No
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Like what? I can't talk on the phone because if he hears me talking about him, he'll be angry.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 11 days ago.
Good day welcome to justanswer.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 11 days ago.
I am a solicitor and It is my pleasure to be assisting you today. I may ask for further information in order to determine a legal position.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 11 days ago.
Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Are you able to help me?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I have already said that it is not safe for me to talk on the phone, do you understand this?
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Absolutely not. I want to stop this now. You have not helped and this is costing me money. Shocking. You are taking advantage of people's misery. I'm beyond appalled.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 11 days ago.
Sorry to hear of your loss, I may not respond immediately as i will be concluding another case, please bear with me. I will respond once done rest assured today.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 11 days ago.

Thank you very much for your patience, despite best efforts and sometimes when technology fails us we are not able to respond in time, however please be assured that the intention is never to take advantage of your situation.

If your son is not diagnosed with mental health and there is no adult social care order applicable to him sometimes although it may seem harsh, you need to take a firm stand to protect yourself and for him to stand on his own feet. He is abusing you and being aggressive and as such apply for a non-molestation order against him. There is no fee payable for this and if you are on low income you can get a local solicitor who has a legal aid franchise to assist you. This way he will be required to leave your home and to not be within 100 metres of the home or you. If he breaches this order he will be arrested and imprisoned for contempt of court.

Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 11 days ago.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message, I am more than happy to guide you further or clarify anything. All the best.