How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask SASH_Law Your Own Question
SASH_Law, Family Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5214
Experience:  LLB (Hons)
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
SASH_Law is online now

If my son like to file for divorce who doesn’t have innof

Customer Question

If my son like to file for divorce who doesn’t have innof income.
JA: What are the assets involved here? Are there any minor children?
Customer: will you be eligible for government Funds?
JA: Where are you located? Divorce laws vary by location.
Customer: Sl30qe
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He has 2year old daughter…mother took her since Wednesday 17th November 2021.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

Hello, how are you today?

My name is ***** ***** I am going to see if I can assist you with your query. Let me just read your first post. I may need to ask you additional questions after I have read your initial post.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I am living in Slough.
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

Are you asking if he is eligible for legal aid?

If yes, has there been any domestic abuse that he is the victim of?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
would he be eligible for financial aid? Also what is the cost like for filing for divorce?There has been in the past where she has raised her hand on him. We do not have any proof as it happened long time ago. but we are concerned that she will state that she is a victim of domestic abuse to try and take take custody of the daughter.
Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

It is highly unlikely that your son would be eligible for legal aid for private law matters, which includes divorce and child arrangements unless he had evidence of abuse towards him. Even then, he may not be eligible. He can check for himself here:

However, if he is on a low income/benefits, then he may be eligible for fee remission for any applications he may have to make to court. The court fee for divorce is £592, and the court fee to apply for child arrangements is £232, so both of these fees, if he meets the criteria, could be free. He can check his eligibility by reading the notes form on fee exemption - EX160A

There's nothing he can do about her claiming to be a victim of abuse, except to defend himself if she does. She'll need some form of proof if she is to gain legal aid, same as he needs proof.

If they both allege abuse in the children proceedings, then the court will likely hold a fact finding hearing to see whose version of events the court prefers.

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Expert:  SASH_Law replied 8 days ago.

Thank you so much for using JA and allowing me to answer your query for you. If you have further questions about my responses above, please do feel free to ask them in this thread.

If you have questions on different topics, you can open a new thread and mark it for my attention by putting FORCustomerONLY in the subject heading, or choosing me as your preferred expert from your membership page.

All the best!