SolicitorRM
SolicitorRM, Solicitor
Experience:  Director and Principal Solicitor. UK
103094402

I have completed a divorce and the financial element was

Customer Question

I have completed a divorce and the financial element was completed in Dubai and then reposted and completed again the UK. It was intended that the UK case would supersede the dubai one and that the dubai was to be removed and given as an undertaking. Months have gone by and this has Not been completed by the other party. The result is that I need technically to pay the dubai money in dubai and the uk money in the uk, obviously doubling my requirements. So the other party is refusing to remove the dubai element and is gaining from the best parts of each law. I need to issue enforcement in the uk for the dubai element to be removed as per the undertaking. What form do I complete to have this submitted to the court and how to make it urgent.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 8 days ago.
Hello, welcome to Justanswer.
I am a solicitor and I will be reviewing your question.
Please note that I can guide you, justanswer does not provide legal representation and as such no legal lawyer/client relationship is formed.
I may not respond immediately, please bear with me. I will respond once done rest assured today.
Expert:  SolicitorRM replied 6 days ago.

Hi thank you for your patience. The UK courts would not normally have jurisdiction over judgments secured in the UAE. If this undertaking was in writing as in a consent order in Dubai then I would expect that you would have catered for this type of situation where the other party may not fulfil their undertaking. You ought to enforce that breach in Dubai courts. I can only imagine you wanted separate proceedings in the uk due to properties in the UK otherwise the undertaking and agreement just doesn’t seem fit for purpose or enforceable. You should still be able to file for financial settlement here for those elements in the UK ( I am assuming England and Wales here as Scotland has different laws) without duplicating on settlement.

Any follow up please do not hesitate to send your message. Thank you for contacting just answer. All the best.