12826847

I was involved in a domestic violence incident with my

Customer Question

Hi, I was involved in a domestic violence incident with my partner. He has threatened to stubb me . I was in highly emotiona state and called the police and done the statement. He was charged and released on bail with conditions not to contact me which he followed. I've had time to think and realized that even he made threats he would never do me any harm. So I have contacted him and we have reconciliated. I have already written a statement for the cps week before the trial that I don't want to go to court as just want to move on with my life and I think my partner will do the same. But I have not said that him and I have reconciled. Cps still didnt drop the case after the trail, which I didn't have to attend, and now theres another hearing coming that I may be summoned. What shall I do in order for the case to be dropped? Shall i write a letter to cps that we got back together?
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Im in uk
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: The last thing was I have written a withdrawal statement 1 week before the trail sayin I no longer wish to go give evidence in court. They still went ahead without me giving evidence but now I hear there will be a case management hearing next week. And I might be now summoned
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My daughter witnessed the argument when my partner threatened me and she gave a statement too originally which was never signedCustomer: Chat is completed
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I've told the police originally in my statement that he threatened me and is stalking me because he would not leave me alone. So the charges he is facing is stalking. But as Ive said we got back together and working things thru. And I do know that he would not hurt me but I was very angry when it happened. We have been together for 12 years and had ups and downs but he is not a wife beater .
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Hi, welcome to JustAnswer. My name is*****’m a barrister with 12 years of experience and I am happy to help with your question today.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank u
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

What would you like to know?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How do I get the case dismissed
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Do I write a letter to the court that me and him reconciled?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Thanks for the information and the time.

I am sorry but I cannot give yougood news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

You could tell them you don’t wantto support a prosecution. However, bearin mind the answer below.

I’m afraid they can be very heavyhanded now. It is not really in thepublic interest in my view.

They will almostcertainly summons you if you are not already. Their current policy is to summons reluctant witnesses.

If you attend courtand resile from your statement they will just put your original statement toyou hearsay

The only realoption is to stay away although they may try to introduce your statementhearsay but it is weaker then. Butequally they may get a summons and arrest you on a witness warrant.

That said, you maybe in luck and they may let you retract.

If there arechildren in the house, social services will very probably investigate though.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position thatyou face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Hopefully, Ihave answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. Ifanything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. Inthe meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
if i write a letter to the court would that not help?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Not really.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
How about a retraction statement
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Like I said, makes no difference.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
what happens when i get summoned and what are my options and outcomes
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

f you attend courtand resile from your statement they will just put your original statement toyou hearsay

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What u mean the option to stay away?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Well, stay away. There isn't a more simple way of expressing that.

But then the consequences I mentioned above may flow.

I am sorry but you just can't do this any more. The days have gone.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
What do u mean I can't do this anymore? The days have gone? What does that mean
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

I am sorry but I can't think of any way of making that more simple. Its in its basic form.

You cannot call the police and control them any more.

The only solution is not to involve the police.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Police was involved in the first place
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Yes.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Can he still end up in prison?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Yes

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If I was to write a retraction statement does that mean I was lieyin?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Not necessarily.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
But you are saying that statement will not help at all
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

Thats right.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
For what reason
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If he has bail condition not to contact me or come anywhere near me but I have contacted him and visited him can he get in trouble
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 12 days ago.

For the reasons I explained above.