Jeremy Aldermartin
Jeremy Aldermartin, Solicitor
Experience:  Dual qualified Solicitor and Attorney
65242892

My husband and I was separated for 10 years and the he

Customer Question

My husband and I was separated for 10 years and the he applied for a divorce, on the 7th November 2021 the decree absolute was issued and he passed away 2 January 2021 he unfortunately passed away am I entitled to his pension even though we are divorce and if so what other benefit am entitled to
JA: Were any of the assets acquired before the marriage? Or given through an inheritance?
Customer: No, the house was bought while we were married
JA: Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?
Customer: What do you mean by marital funds
JA: The Family Lawyer will be able to walk you through that. Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: He paid the mortgage
Expert:  Jeremy Aldermartin replied 11 days ago.

Hi thank you for your message, please note that I will look to provide an accurate but nevertheless speedy reply to your inquiry. I am sorry to hear about your situation but I will endeavour to help you today.

As you were divorced at the time of his passing, you would not be classified as his widow and therefore not entitled to his pension nor any other benefit based on your relationship with him. I trust this assists

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Am I not entitled to his state or private pension at all

No as at the time of his death you were not married. I trust this assists