How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lawry Your Own Question
Lawry, Solicitor
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 442
Experience:  Expert
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lawry is online now

Do you have any solicitors in the Usk area of monmouthshire

This answer was rated:

do you have any solicitors in the Usk area of monmouthshire who deal with divorce?
JA: What are the assets involved here? Are there any minor children?
Customer: no children no assets
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer about this yet?
Customer: no
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: My son Richard is currently in Usk prison and his wife wants a he needs to be able to have a face to face chat with Richard. Distance is critical because of the costs involved. I am a pensioner and Richard has no income.


My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

By way of a brief background,Under the law of England and Wales, a divorce cannot be applied for until a couple has been married for one year.

There is one ground for divorce, which is that the marriage has irretrievably broken down.

People tend to think that it is enough to say that there are “irreconcilable differences” within the marriage.

However, unless a couple has been separated for a period in excess of two or five years, they sadly do need to allege blame on the part of their husband/wife to obtain a divorce.

Under current divorce law, in order to prove that the marriage has irretrievably broken down, the Petitioner needs to use one of five reasons.

These are:

  1. Adultery
  2. Unreasonable behaviour
  3. Desertion
  4. Two years’ separation with consent
  5. Five years’ separation without consent

The divorce itself is generally not contentious but the separate process for securing a financial award can sometimes be acrimonious particularly if there are substantial assets or income.

As you state there are no assets as such, this should not be a problem.

If you are looking for a Family Law solicitor you can contact the Law Society for England & Wales on 0207(###) ###-####and they can recommend local firms that can help.

Otherwise, here are three firms that could assist.

Setfords on 0330(###) ###-####/p>

Star Legal Limited on 0117(###) ###-####/p>

Hopkins Law Ltd on 02920 395 888

I hope this helps.

Lawry and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thank you for the information it is a help.

My pleasure.

Thank you for using the service.