JeremyT1020
JeremyT1020,
Experience:  Expert
110498620

My ex partner still lives in the house but she’s not paying

Customer Question

My ex partner still lives in the house but she’s not paying any outgoing expenses. I know once she leaves the house she’s not going to cover anything that she owes. How can I get any money for what she owes?
Expert:  JeremyT1020 replied 12 days ago.
Good evening and thank you for your question. I'm a solicitor specialising in divorce, separation and financial matters so I'd be happy to offer some guidance.First and foremost, please would you confirm if you and your ex are joint tenants and own the house equally? How much is the house worth?Thanks, J
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
We own the house equally. I am buying her out and she had received the transfer of deed but not signed yet.
I'll be straight with you - it'll be very difficult to get her to pay her share of the outgoings. You could threaten to deduct it from her share of the sale proceeds but that wouldn't stand up in court if she tried to take it that far. The other option would be to try and sue her in the small claims court.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I’ve already tried to deduct it from the money I am paying off for her share and she refused to sign. How will the small claims court work?
Hello again. You'd have to offer mediation to her first and foremost. I'm guessing she wouldn't agree so you'd make an application to court via HMCTS online. Here's the link: https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I understand! Thank you
My pleasure. If you have any further questions, please ask. Otherwise, thank you for your question and for using Just Answer. Kind regards, J