How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • Go back-and-forth until satisfied
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask james bruce Your Own Question
james bruce
james bruce, Solicitor-advocate
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 5906
Experience:  Owner at James Bruce Solicitors
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
james bruce is online now

I was supposed to have had a court hearing yesterday over

This answer was rated:

Hi I was supposed to have had a court hearing yesterday over child access but I’ve got confused with the dates and thought it was today. What can I do to put my side of the story over.
JA: What steps have you taken? Have you filed any papers in the family court?
Customer: I haven’t no my ex has
JA: Family Court normally sits in a local County and Magistrates' Court. Do you know the location of the court? If not, what county do you live in?
Customer: it was Slough
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: no

Hello, I hope you are well. My name is***** am a solicitor advocate and  I will be assisting you with your question today. I am very sorry to hear of the problem you are experiencing and I will do my best to help you with this matter.

Can I please ask you to give me some more detailed information regarding this matter so as to allow me to work with you and help resolve your enquiry.

Was the hearing in court or by phone?

Did you have legal representation? or were you dealing with the case yourself?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
It was via phone/video link. No I didn’t have legal representation
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
A CVP hearing
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Can I please get a answer. I don’t wish to call.

Then if you were unavailable and / or missed the call hearing, it is very likely that the District Judge has now dismissed you application and found in favour of the other party. It would be treated as a no show by you.

I would advice that you make urgent contact with the court dealing with the case, explain what happened and hope they may resist the case.

Otherwise, you may have to start the whole process again.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Would I have to apply to the court to gain more access??
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
If so how do I do that?

You have already stated that was the purpose of the hearing , a hearing over child access, hat I imagine was a child arrangements hearing that would have taken place had you remembered the date.

As explained, call the court in he morning who is or was dealing with the case, explain how you missed the hearing and see what they say.

Again, the case could have been dealt with yesterday without you or could have been dismissed because you failed to attend hearing.

If that is the case, you would need to start the process again.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I shall ring them at 9 when they open.

That is the best and only thing you can do, with luck, if they could not reach you they may have adjourned the case to another day.

Good luck.

Thank you for using Just Answer and for allowing me to assist you with your legal enquiry. I am pleased I was able to be of assistance. Please do not hesitate to come back to me for further advice on this or any other legal matter. It will be my pleasure to be able to assist you again.

james bruce and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you