Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My ex girlfriend used my airbnb, and always said she would

HelloMy ex girlfriend used my airbnb, and always said she would pay any taxes from it, and now she is refusing to pay a bill of over £4000 just for the year of 2020, nas still as the year off 2021 and 2022 to come, can i take legal action and make her pay?
i have text messages from her stating that she would pay

Hello and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 15 years’ experience. Please be aware that although I will endeavour to reply to you promptly, I am also in full time private practice and so I may not be available to respond immediately and it may also take me a few minutes to prepare a reply. The site will notify you as soon as I respond. I look forward to working with you to answer your question fully.

I am sorry to read of the above. May I clarify please - was this to rent your property or to rent other properties please? I assume the former from what you say?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
was to rent a few properties that she was renting, she was also claiming benefits from government.

1. So she used your account on Airbnb to advertise properties she controlled?
  2. If so why not simply use her own account or open one if she did not already have one?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
she did not used her account because she was claiming benefits from goverment and they could eventualy find out she had a extra income as she said she was not working to be able to claim benefits
  1. Thank you. Can you prove that the lettings were hers and not yours? e.g. do you have messages showing the permission to use your account etc?
  2. Have you already submitted a self assessment tax return declaring the rental income as your own?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i do have messages that the letting were from her, also the properties are under her name and her relatives in contracts there is messages from her contacting with the guests. and i have messages from her that she would pay all tax from AIRBNB
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
The self assesment tax return she wants to make it now for the year of 2019/2020 she as accountant but i dont know who he is or how tax will be done

Thank you. On that basis why would you consider declaring the tax yourself on a self assessment? From what you say you have clear evidence that the lettings were hers and you did not receive the income? From what you say the tax is hers to declare (or not as is her purview) is it not?

Is it convenient if I arrange to call you in the next few minutes?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
please
better to make phone call

Thank - I will try to reach you now...