plclegal
plclegal, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister at law
101823876

How do l get a no fault divorce? 1 house, no minors. We both

Customer Question

How do l get a no fault divorce?
JA: What are the assets involved here? Are there any minor children?
Customer: 1 house, no minors.
JA: Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?
Customer: We both signed the mortgage application
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: In both names
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  plclegal replied 9 days ago.

Hello and thank you for the question. I’ll do my best to assist you and provide an accurate and speedy response. Please bear with me as this is an email service and not live chat. Also note that the discussions here are for general information purposes only and do not constitute a lawyer client relationship.

I’ll review and come back to you as soon as I can.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
We haven't had sex in mire than 2 years and 3 months. She doesn't cook for me cook
Expert:  plclegal replied 9 days ago.

Thank you for the information.

From 6 April 2022, there was a change in the law in regard divorce removing the five ‘reasons’ for divorce, then need to allege fault if you wanted to divorce before waiting for two years post separation and bringing in a number of procedural changes.

One party will still be able to say that the marriage has irretrievably broken-down but crucially, both parties to a divorce will be able to make the application jointly. In practice, this new process should avoid a lot of hostility between parties resulting in a smoother outcome.

There will be new, more modern terminology referred to in proceedings. For example, the party issuing proceedings will now be referred to as the Applicant as opposed to a Petitioner. The documents issued by the court confirming that the divorce can be granted have changed from Decree Nisi and Decree Absolute to a “Conditional Order” and a “Final Order” respectively.

You can make a joint application if both of the following apply:

• you both agree that you should get a divorce
  • you’re not at risk of domestic abuse

You will need to decide if you want to apply online or by post. Your husband or wife needs to use the same application method.

You’ll both have to separately confirm that you want to continue with the divorce application at each stage of the process.

If your husband or wife stops responding, you’ll be able to continue with the divorce application as a sole applicant.

If you want to apply for financial help with the divorce application fee, both of you must be eligible to qualify. Otherwise, the fee is £593 (a one off application fee) and you should share this cost equally if possible.

You can apply on line at www.gov.uk

Is there anything more I can clarify for you?

Expert:  plclegal replied 8 days ago.

I didn't hear from you again, but I trust that the information provided was of assistance.

Thank you for your enquiry today. I am happy to answer follow-up questions - please do get in touch with requests for extra information or further queries and I will do my best to help you. You can request me personally on a new question thread saving my profile as one of your preferred experts and by tagging me (@PLCLEGAL) at the start of the new thread. Best wishes, Peter.

Have a great day!