Lawry
Lawry, Solicitor
Experience:  Expert
109896623

I hope you are fiine. I have a couple of doubts about my

Customer Question

Hi, I hope you are fiine. I have a couple of doubts about my divorce -it is the new application form-. One is even I am doing a sole application, neither of us need a financial order. On page 15, question 8.1 I ticked no to financial order, do I need to ticked for my ex to be or as he is not an applicant shall I leave unticked? My second question is to serve him the application would be enough to email him the app? he is outside the UK. Thanks
JA: Where are you? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I am on holidays in America, but I live in London
JA: What steps have you taken so far?
Customer: I have bought the postal orders and I already filled in the form, but I still have doubts about it, particularly about the new one and about how to serve him the app, as he is outside the UK
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Just this Hi, I hope you are fiine. I have a couple of doubts about my divorce -it is the new application form-. One is even I am doing a sole application, neither of us need a financial order. On page 15, question 8.1 I ticked no to financial order, do I need to ticked for my ex to be or as he is not an applicant shall I leave unticked? My second question is to serve him the application would be enough to email him the app? he is outside the UK. Thanks
Expert:  Lawry replied 14 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will try and help you today.

I am sorry to hear you are getting divorced.

As for question 8.1 leave it unticked, as you say quite rightly you are the applicant.

As to service, send the papers to the court and they will serve your spouse.

AS long as you provide an address, the court will serve parties who are abroad and will allow extra time for this in the process.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Larry, thank you so much for your answer. Shall I leave unticked number 3.5 too?
Expert:  Lawry replied 14 days ago.

If service causes a problem, you should know that the courts in England and Wales, in order to effect service of applications or divorce petitions, almost anything goes – including Facebook, email.

Provided you can prove that the receiving party was aware of the proceedings ie that there has been "transmission", that is good enough for our courts.

The overall effect in the courts of England and Wales is that divorce petitions and applications are often served in unusual ways but the court accepts such service in any event.

Expert:  Lawry replied 14 days ago.

Yes, let them do it.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Great, so shall I leave 3.5 unticked?
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Got your answered, thanks. Have a good day
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Regarding digital signature applying by post as I am in the States at the moment. Would that be possible?
Expert:  Lawry replied 14 days ago.

It should be.

Best of luck!