ReadyLaw
ReadyLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Bar Professional Training Course
104128041

I inherited a sum of money in 2017 and put it into a house

Customer Question

Hi I inherited a sum of money in 2017 and put it into a house and car while with my wife and We’ve now separated is she entitled to half of everything or not as it was left to just me
JA: Was the house purchased during the marriage?
Customer: Yes
JA: Were any marital funds used for the mortgage or property improvements?
Customer: About 40k joint funds from the previous house and then 80k from my inheritance
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: Is abultery a factor
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 8 days ago.
Hi welcome to justanswer
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 8 days ago.
I amCustomerone of the legal experts here. My goal is to provide you with the best experience possible and answer any questions which you may have about your current situation.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 8 days ago.
I may not respond immediately, this is because I may need some time to read what you shared above, type and respond to you.
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 8 days ago.
If there is anything else you need, please let me know before I respond?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I also payed 17k back to her father that he had loaned to her but we got nasty demands for it back when I got my inheritance and my now ex wife fell out with her parents over it and now I’ve been left as paying the whole amount from my inheritance
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for your patience and enquiry. Sorry to hear what’s happened. Firstly the fact of an adultery does not have a bearing on the division of matrimonial assets. So this in not a basis to increase or decrease someone’s share.

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 8 days ago.

Money received from inheritance can form part of matrimonial assets if it is used for both your benefit during the marriage and it no longer can be identifiable as a separate asset. 

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 8 days ago.

So, for example, in your circumstance where the inheritance was used to buy joint matrimonial home, it would not be viewed by the court as a separate asset. You will not therefore be able to claim this money separately

Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 8 days ago.

Can I clarify anything for you? I hope I have answered your query in a way that is simple and easy to understand. If anything remains unclear, I will be more than happy to clarify it for you. In the meantime, thank you once again for using our services.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
What about the car I paid for from my bank and she drives but I’ve paid for it all upto the value of around 7k
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
the 17k we were bullied to pay back asap when I got my inheritance and now Iam 17k down and her debt is paid off to her dad but still takes half of the house , should she not have to pay me back half of the 17k .
Expert:  ReadyLaw replied 8 days ago.

My response included both these issues. The car is considered matrimonial asset. The most you could do is ask for it to be sold and the proceeds of sale be divided equally between you. The payment to the family member could not be reimbursed.