Inderdeep
Inderdeep,
Experience:  Expert
113018724

Do you still have to pay child maintenace once your child

Customer Question

do you still have to pay child maintenace once your child starts an apprenticeship
JA: Where is this? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: uk
JA: What steps have been taken so far?
Customer: none
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.
Customer: the child is 17
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 8 days ago.
Thank you for using just answer i will be assisting you today.
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 8 days ago.

Please note the following matters:

1. My replies are in writing only. I am not available for telephone calls.

2. Any call requests are generated by the website and can be accepted or requested by you at any stage. However these calls are charged as a premium service once accepted and the call will be with whichever expert that is available at that time.

3. I may not respond right away as I may be dealing with another matter, however I will deal with your enquiry as quickly as I can.

4. I only provide general legal advice to your enquiries. If I am required to look at documentation this will be subject to further costs which I will advise you of.

5. I cannot provide you with legal representation nor can I act on your behalf creating a client/solicitor relationship.

6. If you need urgent legal representation you should consider the following links:-

https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/

https://www.directaccessportal.co.uk/search/1/barrister

I will now deal with your enquiry and assist you as best i can.

Expert:  Inderdeep replied 8 days ago.

Is the maintenance paid via an agreement or the CSA?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No the agreement is between
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
my daughter is 17 & started an apprenticeship this week
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
she is now living with me 5 days a week until she passes her driving test
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 8 days ago.

If there is a private agreement it should stipulate how long the maintenance is to be paid for. If this is silent then you will need to agree the terms between you both, or the other parent will have to apply to the court or CSA. Usually court orders will stipulate for maintenance of a child to be up to the age of 18 or when the child finishes full time education. The CSA usually calculates maintenance to be paid up until the child is 16, or if they go into approved further education, when they finish this.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
she has finished full time education as she now working 35hours a week
Expert:  Inderdeep replied 8 days ago.

As you have a private agreement you both need to agree terms unfortunately, i can only advise what a court usually orders as well as the CSA. The CSA would classify the apprenticeship as approved training and could order for payments during this period until it finishes.

Try and agree some terms with the other party, or attempt a process called mediation to agree terms.  A mediator can be found using the link below:-

https://www.familymediationcouncil.org.uk/find-local-mediator/